By Esther Safo:
Mr. Prince Billy Anaglate – Divisional Officer Grade II, Public Relations Officer of the Ghana Fire Service has indicated that our attitude to fire safety is very appalling. According to Mr. Anaglate, most people have old electrical wiring in their homes, a situation which he attributes to the rising incidents of home fires and its resultant destructions.
Mr. Anaglate who was speaking in an interview with Nana Ama Sarfo, host of Food Safety, Nutrition and Hygiene on Rite FM observed that the electrical wiring in most homes are several years old with its resultant fire risks.
‘Most of the electrical wiring in homes are over 30 years old and most of these have breakages. Moreover, others have old switches and old sockets in their homes which is a clear indication of the risks of overheating and we must change them,’ the Divisional Officer asserted.
He continued that 90% of fire outbreak is preventable but we do not see to prevent them due to our careless habits. Furthermore, people wake up and forget to turn off their televisions, fridges, air-conditioners, etc, stressing that all contribute to domestic fire outbreaks.